The Sacred Heart women’s soccer season has come to an end for first year Grace O’Hara and the Pioneers after a Northeast Conference (NEC) semifinal loss to Fairleigh Dickinson University 5-3 on Nov. 5.
During O’Hara’s rookie season at Sacred Heart, she received two NEC rookie of the week awards.
O’Hara led the NEC in shots per game, points, and points per game and finished second in game winning goals. She is also third in goals and goals per game, according to northeastconference.org.
1. What’s your favorite change from high school sports to college?
“The level of intensity and the speed of the game. I enjoy playing with people at the same level as me and being on a team with girls going into the same career as me, with much more experience.”
2. What are some strengths you feel you had this season?
“My goals and speed up top provided strength to our team this season. We have a lot of fast players on our offense, which was very beneficial.”
3. How much have your teammates been there for you throughout this season?
“My teammates are what made this year the best for me. When I broke my arm, I’ve never received so much love and support from any other team than this one. They made me want to be the best player I could be.”
4. How are you going to be a leader next year with new teammates?
“I am going to give them all the advice I can on how to succeed as a freshman, and I’m going to do what my teammates do for me now and be there for them as much as I can.”
5. What does it mean for you to lead so many categories and get awards from the NEC?
“It’s an amazing feeling, especially as a freshman in a D1 college. Although I couldn’t have gotten any of the awards without my team helping me each step of the way.”
6. What is your favorite thing about being a part of a D1 program?
“I love traveling to hotels and to games. I love being able to stay in a hotel and do fun things with my team. I also really love all the apparel we get.”
7. What are your thoughts on the team’s performance this season?
“Our team worked really hard this season and gave it our all until the very end. I have confidence that we will become even better over the spring and will be ready to bring it next fall.”
8. How do you think you could improve next season and beyond?
“I’m going to become stronger mentally and physically. I’m also going to focus on my confidence and start believing in myself more than I do.”
9. What’s your favorite spot to hang out on campus?
“My favorite spot to hang out on campus is the Mario Kart game room in Bergoglio Hall. That’s where I met all the friends I have on campus and what has created an amazing freshman year for me.”
10. What’s your favorite movie/TV show?
“I absolutely love all Christmas movies because it is my favorite time of year. I also love the Avengers movies because I enjoy watching all of them with my dad and waiting for the next ones to come out.”
11. Who is your favorite professor?
“Professor Paslov because she’s very understanding and even came out to support one of our games this past season.”
O’Hara and the Pioneers will kick into offseason training for now and return to competing in the fall of 2022.