Catwalk for a Cause: Kappa Delta Hosts “Shamrock the Runway”

Sacred Heart University boasts a plethora of events throughout the academic year, organized by various campus organizations. On March 13, the Kappa Delta sorority held its annual “Shamrock the Runway” event at the Edgerton Center for Performing Arts.

The two-hour event showcased six fashion categories: Taylor Swift era, Barbie, sports, throwback movies, country, and Fairfield fashion. Kappa Delta also had some local Girl Scouts of America walk the runway, adding to the energy of the event. At the end of the show, Kappa Delta crowned their Mr. and Mrs. Shamrock, awarded to the nominees who raised the most money in the weeks leading up to the event.

This year, the “Shamrock the Runway” catwalk saw participation from numerous sororities and fraternities on campus.

“The event was awesome. Energy was super high. It seems like everyone enjoyed the night and absorbed the message that ‘Shamrock the Runway’ is all about,” said freshman Brendan Murphy, a participant in the event.

The “Shamrock the Runway” event collaborates with three philanthropic organizations partnered with the Kappa Delta Sorority. 80% of sales and donations go towards St. Joseph’s Parenting Center, with the remaining 20% directed to Prevent Child Abuse America.

“This event was important for our sorority because we were able to raise awareness and generate funds for our philanthropy while honoring our late and beautiful sister Caitlin Nelson. Through our fun and interactive fashion show, we were able to raise over $10,000 for our philanthropy, Prevent Child Abuse America, and local beneficiary St. Josephs Parenting Center,” said junior Mia Mirabella, the Vice President of Events and Programming for Kappa Delta.

Caitlin Nelson, a former sister of Kappa Delta who passed away, is honored through the annual “Shamrock the Runway” event. The sorority puts significant effort into making the event memorable in Nelson’s memory. It is one of the largest events held by Kappa Delta each year and serves as an incredible way to remember and respect one of their members.

At the end of the show, Mr. and Mrs. Shamrock were crowned as sophomore Steph Peters, representing Zeta Tau Alpha, and sophomore Paulie Licata, representing Kappa Sigma.

Kappa Delta’s “Shamrock the Runway” was a great success, both in raising funds and honoring Caitlin Nelson.

“Caitlin Nelson’s ‘Shamrock the Runway’ was a beautiful event this year, and I’m so glad for everyone who participated this year and having the Girl Scouts join us,” said Emel Acar, a senior member of Kappa Delta.

About the author

Staff Writer

Leave a Reply